By Vicki Little
If you have been waiting all year for those Lucky Charms with green clovers, humorous claims about wearing green underwear, and of course — the green beer — then you are in luck. St. Patrick’s Day fun is here. For those looking for kid-friendly ways to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, here are 5 fun ideas.
1) Tricky Tricky. Kids love those sneaky little leprechauns — when they aren’t being mean that is! Put a few drops of green food coloring in the bottom of a cup before you pour the kids’ milk for a green surprise. You can also unscrew the tip of the water spout and put a green-colored tablet in there so when they go to brush their teeth SURPRISE! Green water! Just don’t let them actually brush or their teachers will get a green-smile surprise as well.
2) Enjoy a dinner of corned beef and cabbage. It has been said that the Irish don’t really eat corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick’s day and that it is more of an Americanized tradition. Either way, it is a yummy dinner that is on sale at grocery stores! Here is a very simple recipe.
3) Learn more about St. Patrick’s Day. Make the holiday more meaningful by knowing the traditions and stories behind it. Kiddyhouse.com has a kid-friendly post about St. Patrick’s Day.
4) Build a Leprechaun Trap. Kids love anything creative and imaginative, and this activity incorporates both. One year, we made a trap from parts out of the “MouseTrap” game. We have also made one with a shoebox and a stick. The possibilities are endless. Who knows, maybe they will catch one of those sneaky little leprechauns.
5) Have fun with themed activities and crafts. A simple Google search produces a St. Patty’s Day activity or craft for every age and at every price level. Or you can visit parentteachplay.com to quickly find one and have a little fun.
Vicki Little is a work-at-home mom with two young kids. A Colorado native, she is the Publisher and Editor of Macaroni Kid Aurora and Downtown Denver. When she isn’t writing or trying to keep up with her kids she can be found volunteering, reading, or enjoying a bottle of wine with friends.
Want more from The Mother List? Sign up here!