This is one of our all-time favorite turkey recipes – The Champagne Turkey recipe.
Champagne Citrus Turkey
- Turkey sized oven bag
- 1 (12 pound) whole turkey, neck and giblets removed
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 apple, cored and quartered
- 1 orange, quartered
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2/3 (750 milliliter) bottle sparkling wine (champagne, cava, or prosecco will do nicely)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Rinse turkey, and pat dry. Gently loosen turkey breast skin, and insert pieces of butter between the skin and breast. Place oranges and apples inside the turkey’s cavity. Sprinkle with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Place turkey in an oven bag, and pour champagne over the inside and outside of the bird. Close bag, and place turkey in a roasting pan.
- Bake turkey 3 to 3 1/2 hours in the preheated oven, or until the internal temperature is 180 degrees when measured in the thickest part of the thigh. Remove turkey from bag, and let stand for at least 20 minutes before carving.
You can also drain all of the juice from the bag, skim off as much fat as possible and make the best gravy you’ve ever tasted. Don’t forget to toast with the leftover sparkling wine!
Also, feel free to swap out the turkey for a large chicken.