Whether you get the flu shot or not, another way to fight colds and flu is to bolster your immune system with good nutrition, says Chelsea Handler’s nutritionist, Mark Macdonald, author of “Body Confidence.” Macdonald’s advice is to load up on antioxidants by eating fruits and vegetables. He also suggests:
- Do NOT “starve a fever” – this throws off your metabolism, which causes your immunize system to drop. Feed your body consistently to keep it fighting strong.
- Do NOT drink sports drinks or soda – they’re full of sugar and chemicals, which are not good.
- Drink lots of water to flush out the toxins – and add a spice like cinnamon, which is a blood-sugar stabilizer and antioxidant (and also burns fat). Or add an herb like Echinacea, which will boost your white blood cell count.
- Do NOT just focus on Vitamin C supplements. Get the wider spectrum of nutrition with brightly colored fruits and veggies or a fruit/veggie juice rich in liquid antioxidants.
- Get lots of sleep and avoid stress as much as possible.