By Vicki Little
Once kids are in elementary school, the learning happens fast, and sometimes it can be hard to keep up. If only we could get them to spend as much time practicing their math skills as they spend playing on iPads, they would be getting A’s with ease! Luckily, app developers have thought of this and created fun math games to get our kids excited to play something that we approve of! Here are 10 great math apps for children in elementary school:
1) DragonBox Algebra: Kids as young as five will start learning algebraic concepts and methods with this fun game. Presenting more as a puzzle game, it teaches kids how to isolate the X and even how to solve for it. Available in Google Play and App Store $4.99.
2) Crazy Times Tables: A fun app that helps kids quickly recognize their multiplication facts. Available in App Store for $2.99.
3) Let’s Do The Math: Kids will focus on addition and subtraction with 15 different types of exercises and 50 story problems in different categories. You can choose how your child learns better as well; choosing between flash card or puzzles.
4) Math Planet: This game has more than 100 levels and 80 Common Core standards. Choose your grade from 2nd all the way through middle school and keep advancing as you learn. This app covers at least 13 topics ranging from arithmetic to fractions, division, measurements, and geometry. Available in Google Play and App Store for FREE!
5) Chicken Coop: A twist in fraction learning, this app uses games with chickens to teach students how to add, compare, and estimate fractions. Available in Google Play and App Store for FREE!
6) Mystery Math Town: Kids will help a friendly ghost rescue fireflies that are hidden in Mystery Math Town by using math to unlock rooms and passages. You can customize the game for different levels of learning such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, dice and tallies and more. Available in App Store for $3.99.
7) Math Vs. Zombies: Kids will use their math skills to battle Zombies in this fun app that is aligned with Common Core Standards. Parents will love that there is a report card to see how their child is doing in addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. There are seven worlds and 111 levels in the game. Available in Google Play and App Store for $4.99.
8) Deep Sea Duel: Your child will select number cards from a set to try and get their cards to add up to a certain number before their enemy Okta the Octopus does! The app teaches kids how to combine whole numbers, integers, and decimals. Available in Google Play and App Store for FREE!
9) Motion Math Pizza: Your child will become a little business owner as they set up their own pizzeria and try to find the best ingredients at the best prices to sell for the most profit! Game gets progressively quicker and harder to win. Available in the App Store for $5.99.
10) Quick Math: This app presents math in a flash-card style. It’s a high-speed game that tests a student’s speed and accuracy in addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. The app tracks a player’s progress to motivate them to get better. Available in the App Store for FREE.
Vicki Little is a preschool teacher with two children. A Colorado native, she spends her time writing, sitting in the bleachers for her daughter’s gymnastics, and engaging in spirited debates with her son. In her free time…well, she is still waiting for some of that.
Want more great content from The Mother List? Sign up here!