By Vicki Little
Fall is a beautiful season, but it’s often fleeting because it’s chock full of so many activities. It’s here and gone before you’ve had a chance to notice the leaves changing color. But if you can find time in between soccer matches and school activities, it’s the perfect time to gather up the family and create some special fall memories. Here are 10 fun family activities to consider this fall:
1. Go on a nature scavenger hunt. Make a list of things you want to find before you head out — for example, a red leaf, caterpillar, still-green leaf, squirrel, etc.
2. Go apple picking and then make apple cider! If you don’t want to make your own cider, there’s plenty of fresh cider to buy. After apple picking, I buy a large container of apple cider, then add a few cinnamon sticks, add a few slices of fresh-picked apple, about 1/4 cup of brown sugar and an orange slice, and put it on the stove. I heat it on low for about an hour, then serve it warm for the rest of the day. Your house will smell amazing!
3. Smell like fall by baking with pumpkin or cinnamon. Gather the family together to bake apple pie or pumpkin cookies. Or make your own fall potpourri by simmering an orange peel, three cinnamon sticks, cloves, a sliced apple and a tablespoon of vanilla in plenty of water. Refill the water as it boils off, then dry the ingredients to make potpourri.
4. Give those migrating birds a treat by making bird feeders! You can make your own very easily with Jell-O mix and bird seed shaped by cookie cutters. Visit alphamom to learn how to do this!
5. Go on an evening hayride and campfire. Many historical sites, fall festivals, corn mazes, and orchards offer these in the fall.
6. Rake leaves. Jump in them. Repeat! This offers hours of unstructured fun. My sister and I used to hide things in the leaves for the other one to find!
7. October is the perfect month to visit a corn maze or a pumpkin patch (or both). Many of these places have other games and activities as well!
8. Carve your pumpkins while drinking hot apple cider and join this with a family movie night. We always watch Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown when we carve our pumpkins. Don’t forget to roast the pumpkin seeds afterwards for a yummy treat!
9. Take family pictures outdoors. This time of year, with beautiful colors and crisp fresh air, is perfect for family photos. Find a photographer and head outdoors to start a new yearly tradition!
10. Round off your fall fun with a month of thankfulness! Cut out one leaf for each family member for each day in November. Then, each day, everyone writes what they are thankful for and puts their leaf on the tree.
What is your favorite fall family activity?
Vicki Little is a work-at-home mom with two young kids. A Colorado native, she is the Publisher and Editor of Macaroni Kid Aurora and Downtown Denver. When she isn’t writing or trying to keep up with her kids she can be found volunteering, reading, or enjoying a bottle of wine with friends.
Want more from The Mother List? Sign up here!