By Vicki Little
Father’s Day is fast approaching, and I am desperate for my kids to get my husband something that won’t end up cluttering my closet or desktop. As cute as paperweights and painted ties are, dads can only have so many of them. Here are five alternative gifts sure to make dad feel appreciated:
1. The two B’s – Buy them their favorite beer, get all the fixings for a BBQ, make their favorite side salad and you have found the recipe for a happy dad! Bonus points if you actually do the cooking!
2. Reasons why – Many dad’s just want to feel appreciated and recognized for what they do. A list or poem of reasons why everyone in the family loves dad will warm his heart. You can even go a step further and have it printed up nicely or framed.
3. The things he loves – Make him a little basket of convenience. For example, my husband would love his basket to be filled with gift cards to Sonic, the car wash, Starbucks, and McDonalds. He can just go grab what he wants when he wants.
4. A fun date – I have heard more than a few husbands say that the hardest thing about being a dad is never getting to spend time with their wife. You can solve this problem for him with a fun date tailored to their likes. What were their favorite things to do when you were dating?
5. Let them go – Yes, a little fun with Frozen there, but some dads just want to GO. Go hang out with their friends for an afternoon, go mess around in the garage without being nagged to clean it, go take a nap. They want to do things they don’t normally get to do. So let them go!
What are your kids getting their dad this year?
Vicki Little is a work-at-home mom with two young kids. A Colorado native, she is the Publisher and Editor of Macaroni Kid Aurora and Downtown Denver. When she isn’t writing or trying to keep up with her kids she can be found volunteering, reading, or enjoying a bottle of wine with friends.
Want more from The Mother List? Sign up here!