By Vicki Little
Young or old, life is better when shared with friends. The more, the better, especially when it comes to Mom’s Best Friends Forever (MBFF). Just like different outfits call for different shoes, you may have different friends for different reasons – or during different periods of your life. Here are five types of MBFFs that every mom needs:
1) The “Help Me Momma” Friend. We all have one, and we all admire her for how much she gets done. She will pick your kids up in the blink of an eye when your day is over scheduled. She will bring the candles to the party when you barely remembered the cake, and she will have the perfect advice when your child gets picked on by another child at school. She is a lifesaver. And somehow she always looks great while doing it.
2) The “Tag You’re It” Friend. You may not want to admit it, but we all have that friend that always says “yes” if we need help with the bake sale, a chaperone for the spring dance, or someone to wear a costume for the school Halloween party. You have gotten so used to her helping out that sometimes you forget to ask her before you put her name on the list — but you are ALWAYS willing to make it up to her!
3) The “What happens in Vegas” Friend. We may not party like we used to, but those occasional Moms’ Nights Out are vital to our sanity. These moms are down for it every time! They encourage you to let your hair down, hang the minivan keys up, and remember that you are a person and not just a mom. And they won’t let you in the car until you don’t look like a mom anymore either. Who cares if you don’t do anything that you wouldn’t share with your significant other? What’s important is that you won’t find Elsa or Anna where you are going!
4) The “Groupie” Friend. These are the friends who surround you at the park, playground, pick-up line, block party, etc. When one of you says it is time to go, the children respond. There are many of you, and it is an unspoken rule that everyone is invited to everything. Some people may call you a clique, but you’re really just a group of moms who have a lot in common. The matching yoga pants were a complete coincidence.
5) The “Woobie” Friend. AKA The Lifer, because that is what this friend is. She will be there for you through anything. You share holidays, birthdays, best and worst days, memories and bottles of wine. She is the one you know will help you with whatever you need, whenever you need it. She is the one who understands you and loves you at your worst. You know that she will still be there when you are both out of the “busy season.” She’s got your back, and you two will be telling the same old stories at age 80. She is your go-to, and she is the one friend you could never live without — the one who can always comfort you no matter what. She is your woobie.
Vicki Little is a work-at-home mom with two young kids. A Colorado native, she is the Publisher and Editor of Macaroni Kid Aurora and Downtown Denver. When she isn’t writing or trying to keep up with her kids she can be found volunteering, reading, or enjoying a bottle of wine with friends.
Want more from The Mother List? Sign up here!