By Vicki Little
The last person moms remember to feed in the morning is themselves. Getting kids out the door on time is hard enough, but grabbing food for ourselves is often impossible — especially a healthy, quick breakfast. But with a little planning, parents can enjoy a delicious breakfast on the go. Check out these 5 breakfasts to get you charged up each morning.
1) Breakfast Burrito. Filled with the right ingredients, this is a wholesome and filling breakfast that can be warmed quickly and eaten on the go. Spread some fresh salsa, black beans, shredded cheese and eggs (already scrambled) on a whole wheat tortilla. Wrap and freeze until you are ready to eat. You can throw it in the fridge the night before to make sure the middle will warm quickly when you microwave in the morning.
2) Dressed up yogurt. The best yogurt to use for the most energy with the least sugar would be greek yogurt (and avoiding non-fat will keep your belly full longer). Top your yogurt with some granola or oatmeal, diced fruit, and seeds such as flax or chia. Sometimes I drizzle a bit of honey in my yogurt for a sweeter taste.
3) Muffins. This is super easy since you can make them ahead of time and just grab one and go! A quick 10 seconds in the microwave will make it perfectly warm. The best muffins for long-lasting energy will include flax or chia seed, whole wheat flour, oatmeal or peanut butter.
4) Flax seed smoothie. Blend together 1 1/2 cups of low-fat milk, half a banana, 1/2 cup of your favorite fruit cut up (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries are fantastic), and 1 tablespoon of flax seed. Tip to make it quicker: Cut up and freeze the banana and fruit ahead of time and have other ingredients measured out the night before. You can even toss in a handful of fresh spinach.
5) Banana Sandwich. Slice a banana in half and spread each half with a layer of peanut or almond butter and add some seeds such as chia, flax seed, or sunflower on top of the peanut butter. Place the two halves together and enjoy!
What is your healthy grab and go breakfast?
Vicki Little is a work-at-home mom with two young kids. A Colorado native, she is the Publisher and Editor of Macaroni Kid Aurora and Downtown Denver. When she isn’t writing or trying to keep up with her kids she can be found volunteering, reading, or enjoying a bottle of wine with friends.
Want more from The Mother List? Sign up here!