By Lindsay Genshaft
When school is out, kids can find a warm, welcoming and creative place of their own at the Denver Art Museum (DAM).
The theme for this year’s Winter Break at the DAM is A Place of My Own. Whether you like making art, seeing live performances or exploring the galleries, we think there is something for everyone in the family to enjoy! The DAM is a place to be creative, have fun, explore and imagine.
Winter Break: A Place of My Own is Dec. 19, 2015–Jan. 3, 2016 (closed Mondays and Christmas Day). And remember, general admission is free for kids!
Here are our top five reasons that the DAM is the place to be this Winter Break:
1. The DAM is a place to explore exciting temporary exhibitions. Listen to some funny stories about the Wyeth family with the family audio guide in Wyeth: Andrew and Jamie in the Studio (this is a ticketed exhibition). Then, pick up a family game and use your senses to explore Southwest scenes in the exhibition A Place in the Sun.
2. The DAM is a place to see live performances in the galleries! Get a clue to find Foxy and Shmoxy: Art Detectives and help them solve art mysteries. Come back to listen to cuentistas–storytellers–tell tales in the galleries.
3. The DAM is a place to discover art from around the world. Check out a Family Backpack and engage with artworks through games and artmaking for the whole family. Then, look for brand new costumes on Level 6 of the North Building and pose for your portrait!
4. The DAM is a place to dive in and get messy! Try out all sorts of painting activities in the Paint Studio. Aprons available.
5. The DAM is a place to make art in the galleries. Take part in conversation and artmaking right in front of inspiring objects in the galleries.
What are you waiting for? Come to the Denver Art Museum and make it a place of your own this winter!
Lindsay Genshaft is the manager of family and community programs at the Denver Art Museum. She is excited for two weeks of fun at the DAM during Winter Break, and she’s especially looking forward to Foxy and Shmoxy: Art Detectives because they always help her discover things she’s never noticed in the art.
Want more great content from The Mother List? Sign up here!