By Vicki Little
Children with special needs spend much of their time trying to reach new milestones, fit in with their friends, and overcome their challenges. During the summer, what could be better for them than spending time with others who know exactly what they are going through? Here are four fantastic camps in Colorado that have programs for children with special needs:
Breckenridge Outdoor Education Center offers numerous different camps for children with disabilities and their families. The programs include camps for developmental disabilities, sensory processing disorders/autism, mixed disabilities, and multiple sclerosis.
- The location of the camp depends on which camp and activities you enroll in
- Enrollment is open now!
- Tuition ranges from $0-$800, contact Claire at 970.453.6422 ext. 16 for more information
Extreme Sports Camp offers camp for all kids on the autism spectrum through community-based learning opportunities. Their goal is to enhance health, abilities, personal growth, and social engagement. Activities include lake and water activities, swimming, yoga, hiking and so much more.
- The overnight camp is located in Glenwood Springs and the day camps are located along the Roaring Creek Valley/Colorado River
- Enrollment is not yet open for Summer 2014, contact the camp at 970-927-3143 for more information
- Prices determined when enrollment is open, scholarships are available
Rocky Mountain Camp is specialized for kids 7-13 with dyslexia. It provides an intensive 5-week language immersion program, which is highly individualized. In addition, campers will get the opportunity to explore a variety of outdoor adventures and confidence-building activities.
- Located at St. Annes on-the-hill Indian Hills CO 80454
- Enrollment is now open!
- Tuition is $5, 500, limited scholarships are available
Roundup River Ranch is a camp that allows kids with chronic and life-threatening illnesses to focus on fun, not their conditions. Campers can choose from a wide range of activities including a challenge course, music and theater, arts and crafts, campfires and more.
- Located at 8333 Colorado River Rd. Gypsum, CO 81637
- Enrollment is now open!
- All camps are free for campers and their families through camp donations
Vicki Little is a work-at-home mom with two young kids. A Colorado native, she is the Publisher and Editor of Macaroni Kid Aurora and Downtown Denver. When she isn’t writing or trying to keep up with her kids or she can be found volunteering, reading, or enjoying a bottle of wine with friends.