By Vicki Little
If you live in Denver and have a child between the ages of 5 and 18 and you don’t have a My Denver Card, the only question we have for you is… Why not? This card is your child’s “Key to the City,” an opportunity to play, learn, explore and grow. And all of this is for FREE! Below is a list of things you can do in Denver for free with your My Denver Card. If your child is a Denver resident, find out more information and register for a card at Denvergov.org.
- ideaLAB: a state-of-the-art digital media center located in the Denver Central Library. Teens get access to professional-level equipment and software to create and record music and videos, and to create video games.
- Reading Rocket Bookmobiles: Each week the bookmobiles stop at 25 different schools across Denver to provide books and other materials. View the schedule.
- After School is Cool: This program provides activities designed specifically for kids at Athmar Park, Green Valley Ranch, Pauline Robinson, Valdez-Perry and Westwood branch libraries.
- Summer of Reading: The Denver Public Libraries offer fun incentives and free programs and events that encourage reading through the summer.
For more information about the My Denver Card Library opportunities, visit your nearest library or call 720-865-1363.
Denver Recreation Centers:
The My Denver Card allows Denver residents to participate in programs at 24 of its 25 recreation centers, and also lets cardholders swim at any Denver Recreation swimming pool for no cost!
Visit Denver Parks and Recreation for additional program and membership information.
Denver Cultural Facilities:
Cardholders can get free admission to exhibits, programs, activities and events at no cost! Restrictions and limitations vary at each place.
- American Museum of Western Art: Receive FREE admission to the Museum when accompanied by a paid chaperone. FREE admission is valid for regular guided tours and self-guided tours. To reserve tickets, please contact info@AnschutzCollection.org or call (303) 293-2000.
- Buffalo Bill Museum and Grave: One free admission per card-holder plus one accompanying adult.
- Byers-Evans House Museum: Cardholders get a free child’s admission with purchase of adult admission. Please present your My Denver Card at the admissions desk. Admission to the house is by guided tours only.
- Clyfford-Style Museum: One accompanying adult per cardholder receives free general admission during all weekends and throughout winter, spring and summer school breaks.
- Denver Art Museum: Youth visitors ages 18 and under receive free general admission. Excludes special ticketed exhibitions and programs.
- Denver Botanic Gardens: Unlimited visits for students during the month of February with a paying adult.
- Denver Center for Performing Arts: Show your My Denver card at the Theatre Company Box Office one hour before any play, and get any seat remaining for only $10. One ticket per ID.
- Denver Museum of Nature and Science: My Denver Card holders receive free general admission in 2018 when they present their card on the following dates: June 1 to Aug. 19, and Dec. 1 to 31.
- Denver Zoo: Your My Denver Card is good in January and February. It can be used for up to 5 free visits with a paid adult per family or 16+ can attend without paying adult. Special events, zoo lights, field trips and classes are not included.
- History Colorado Center: Please present your My Denver Card at the admissions desk to receive free student admission with purchase of adult admission.
- Molly Brown House: My Denver Cardholders receive free admission to the museum with an adult paying full-price admission.
- Museum of Contemporary Art: Teens ages 18 and under are always free.
Vicki Little is a preschool teacher with two children. A Colorado native, she spends her time writing, sitting in the bleachers for her daughter’s gymnastics, and engaging in spirited debates with her son. In her free time…well, she is still waiting for some of that.
Want more great content from The Mother List? Sign up here!